Sec. 6947. Approval of State plan; Federal assistance
- (a) Plan approval
The Administrator shall, within six months after a State plan has been submitted for approval, approve or disapprove the plan. The Administrator shall approve a plan if he determines that -
- (1) it meets the requirements of paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and
- (5) of section 6943(a) of this title; and
- (2) it contains provision for revision of such plan, after
notice and public hearing, whenever the Administrator, by
regulation, determines -
- (A) that revised regulations respecting minimum requirements
have been promulgated under paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (5)
of section 6943(a) of this title with which the State plan is
not in compliance;
- (B) that information has become available which demonstrates
the inadequacy of the plan to effectuate the purposes of this
- (C) that such revision is otherwise necessary. The Administrator shall review approved plans from time to time and if he determines that revision or corrections are necessary to bring such plan into compliance with the minimum requirements promulgated under section 6943 of this title (including new or revised requirements), he shall, after notice and opportunity for public hearing, withdraw his approval of such plan. Such withdrawal of approval shall cease to be effective upon the Administrator's determination that such complies with such minimum requirements.
- (b) Eligibility of States for Federal financial assistance
- (1) The Administrator shall approve a State application for financial assistance under this subchapter, and make grants to such State, if such State and local and regional authorities within such State have complied with the requirements of section 6946 of this title within the period required under such section and if such State has a State plan which has been approved by the Administrator under this subchapter.
- (2) The Administrator shall approve a State application for financial assistance under this subchapter, and make grants to such State, for fiscal years 1978 and 1979 if the Administrator determines that the State plan continues to be eligible for approval under subsection (a) of this section and is being implemented by the State.
- (3) Upon withdrawal of approval of a State plan under subsection (a) of this section, the Administrator shall withhold Federal financial and technical assistance under this subchapter (other than such technical assistance as may be necessary to assist in obtaining the reinstatement of approval) until such time as such approval is reinstated.
- (c) Existing activities
Nothing in this subchapter shall be construed to prevent or affect any activities respecting solid waste planning or management which are carried out by State, regional, or local authorities unless such activities are inconsistent with a State plan approved by the Administrator under this subchapter.